If you like taking ownership of challenges and providing effective solutions, join us at Ascent and start your Architect journey!
About the role
The technical architects report to the Chief Engineer and form part of a team of highly skilled technical people who in turn form part of the Solutions team at Ascent. The Solutions team complements our sales department, running technical pre-sales initiatives and solution assessments that inform our customers of the best technical approach to their business problems.
In delivery, they assist project teams with technical knowledge and expertise and guide architectural discussions and decisions. They are more heavily involved in projects in the initial stages of discovery and project initiation and help in designing an initial architecture for the solution. They remain close to the team during development and are involved in critical junctures that require decisions to be taken at an architectural level.
The technical architects leverage their experience to ensure that the technical solution is being built correctly, and where needed assist in change.
In view of our focus on Azure and in line with our strategic partnership with Microsoft, technical architects will predominantly design solutions on Azure that leverage modern PaaS offerings.
What you’ll do
The main aim of the technical architect is to ensure that the project is built using the right technology and following sound architectural patterns that ensure that both the functional and non-functional requirements are met, maximizing business value. To this end, the technical architect’s success is measured by ensuring that within projects there is a high and constant measure of:
- Good quality architecture that ensures the solution being built covers both functional and non-functional requirements.
- The team has the available knowledge around new technologies to enable them to develop with confidence.
- Technical debt is addressed using best practices to keep the code base healthy.
- Be present with the development team on projects, particularly in the initial and/or transformational stages, to ensure that the right architectural choices are being made
- Be involved in pre-sales activities with new and existing clients to provide architectural input to discussions and proposals
- Provide guidance and direction with architectural decisions throughout the project lifetime
- Provide hands-on assistance to teams, possibly for an extended period, to bootstrap complex solutions
- Spend 30–70% of your time in delivery
- Be involved in multiple projects concurrently (based on time allocation, up to 3 projects)
- Establish and promote coding standards and best practices
- Help in harmonizing technologies across the organization
- Keep up to date and act as an internal evangelist for Azure technologies in view of our partnership with Microsoft
Required Core Skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to identify potential technical issues early on and reassess accordingly
- Ability to architect the project keeping both functional and non-functional requirements in mind
- Provide coaching and training.
- Ability to transform functional and non-functional requirements into a desirable technical architecture.
- Strong engineering skills
- Keep up to date with technologies and learn new technologies related to Azure area of specialisation
Experience in the following
- Knowledge of architectural and coding patterns.
- Understands the technology stack and frameworks in use across projects at Ascent.
- Proficient in Microsoft Azure - certified Azure Cloud Architect or equivalent.
- Proficient in using GIT source control.
- Proficient in setting up CI/CD pipelines.
- Confident in designing systems that span multiple technologies/platforms.
- Proficient knowledge of engineering design patterns.
- Experience in high-scale solutions that take advantage of the cloud platform to achieve scalability.
- Understand the bigger picture and keep the end goal in sight when eliciting requirements.
- A responsible attitude - Needed to take responsibility for the tasks assigned and deliver them to an agreed level of quality and speed
- Ability to prioritise work - In the face of potentially conflicting priorities coming from the development and project requirements.
- Problem solving skills - Needed to find innovative solutions to team requirements.
- Active listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude - Taking ownership of challenges and provide effective solutions.
- Attention to detail - Ability to achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task.
- Creative thinking - Thinking “outside the box” and come up with innovative solutions.
- Critical thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Decision-making abilities - Must be able to take decisions quickly and effectively to ensure a constant flow of work across the team.
- Empathy - Understand client situations in order to address root cause of issues. As part of the job they might need to deal with and understand difficult callers.
- Able to build client relationship - Build trustworthy relationship with clients by ensuring a healthy balance between professionalism and friendliness.
- Self-starter - Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Mentoring - taking personal care to upgrade the technical capabilities of the development team.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behaviour.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time effectively
- Accountability - Take ownership and follow up with the client to ensure issues are resolved.
- Organisation - working in an orderly fashion and producing work that is clear and understandable to the end-user.
- Tenacity to resolve issues - resolves issues by using knowledge and experience.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Friendly and outgoing - needed to establish a good working relationship with colleagues in the same team and project teams
- Teamwork - Must work well within a team and within established boundaries
Our Technical Architects have one or more of the following specialisations:
Software Architects are experienced software developers with a background in full stack .NET development and experience in Azure PaaS solutions. They are comfortable with web serving, queuing, caching, and compute resources such as App Service, Azure Functions, Service Bus, and Azure Storage. They are also comfortable with databases such as Managed SQL and Cosmos DB. Experience with containerisation, AKS, and networking components like VNET, WAF, Azure CDN and Azure Front Door is an asset.
Data Architects are experienced data engineers who are very comfortable with data modeling, building data warehouses, and other data solutions on Azure. They are comfortable with technologies like Data Factory, Databricks, and Azure Synapse.
Platform architects can have a background in different engineering disciplines. They have shifted their focus mainly to the Azure platform and are very familiar with Microsoft’s approach to Azure migration and modernisation, including the Cloud Adoption Framework and well-architected reviews. They are very comfortable with creating landing zones for complex architectures on Azure that span applications, data, networking, and security.
Machine Learning and AI
A Machine Learning and AI technical architect on Azure has a background in Computer Science or Data Science with a focus on building machine learning and AI models in an Azure environment. They are comfortable with Azure Machine Learning and Azure Cognitive Services and have familiarity with big data technologies such as Spark and Python.
Working at Ascent
We chose hybrid working, where you balance time at the office or with your customers with working at home. You'll earn a competitive salary, with a range of essential benefits like life assurance and wellness benefits and a contribution to your pension. Our offices are places to connect and collaborate with colleagues, with socials and regular get-togethers. We take your development and growth seriously, with plenty of opportunities to acquire skills and get certified.
Ascent is an equal opportunities employer. We take intentional steps to ensure inclusion and belonging are something real here, not just something we talk about. No person will be treated less favorably because of their gender, pregnancy, and maternity status, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, or disability status. If you require any reasonable accommodation, please let us know when you apply.
If you have any questions contact our Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Powered by JazzHR