One research scholarship for a Master holder is opened under the scope of the project SMASUS Smart and Sustainable Packaging (reference LISBOA-01-0247-FEDER-047007) co-financed by LISBOA2020 - Regional Operational Program of Lisbon, within the scope of Portugal 2020 through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) in the following conditions :
1. Scientific Area : Biotechnology, Engineering (Bio) Chemistry, Chemistry, Materials Science.
2. Preferential Admission requirements : Candidates with a master's degree in Biotechnology, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Biological Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Engineering, Micro Engineering and Nanotechnologies, or related fields.
Experience in participating in research projects and in the proposed theme and methodologies will be considered favorably, as well as a good command of the English language.
3. Work plan : The fellow will work as part of a collaborative research project, involving academia and industry. The tasks to be carried out involve the production and the characterization of bio-based materials for sensors.
The candidate will also work on the development and optimization of the sensing process. The fellow will also participate in the project management team, interact with partners, as well as participate in its dissemination and communication activities.
4. Applicable legislation and regulation : Law No. 40 / 2004 of 18 August, amended and republished by Decree-Law No. 202 / 2012 of 27 August (Statute of the Scientific Research Grantor) and amended by Decree-Law no.
233 / 2012 of 29 October and by Law no. 12 / 2013 of 29 January; FCT Research Grants Regulation, IP, Regulation No 234 / 2012, last amended by Regulation No 339 / 2015, published in the II Series of the Official Gazette of June 17, 2015, and by Regulation 137-A / 2018, published in the II Series of the Diário da República dated February 27, 2018 and available at :
5. Work location and supervisor : The work will be developed at the Biomolecular Engineering Group (
6. Fellowship duration : The scholarship will have a duration of 6 months, starting in July 2021, with the possibility of renewal up to the end of the project.
7. Monthly maintenance allowance : The amount of the scholarship corresponds to according to the table of values of grants awarded directly by FCT, in the Country (
8. Selection methods : The main criterion for the first ranking will be scientific merit (40%), the suitability of the candidate's profile for the project (30%), motivation and relevant professional experience for the development of the project (30%).
If justified, the three best candidates selected in the first series will be asked to conduct an interview, and then classified with a weighting of 50% (first ranking) and 50% (interview ranking).
Substitute jury members : Ana Pina, PhD; João Carlos Lima, PhD.
10. Form of advertising / notification of results : The final results of the evaluation proposed by the jury, will be notified to the candidates by email, within a maximum period of 90 working days after the deadline for the submission of applications, and they can access the minutes and the ordering list, and pronounce themselves within 10 working days on the draft decision at the prior hearing of interested parties, under the terms of the Code of Administrative Procedure.
At the end of the period set for the hearing of interested parties and in the absence of any response, the ranking list will become final.
From the final decision, candidates may file a complaint within 15 working days (to the email address used for the notification), or appeal to the maximum executive body of the funding entity within 30 working days after notification of the final decision, addressed to the Directorate of FCT / UNL through the e-mail address